Monday, January 28, 2008

Miserable With the Truth or Happy With the Lie?

I've asked this question to my friends and I've received varying responses all around. For a while, I've theorized whether one's answer to this question really reflects the essence of one's character or whether it didn't matter at all. Well, nothing's conclusive yet.

But putting all speculation aside, would you rather be miserable knowing the truth or happy with living a lie?

For me, though I don't follow my decisions perfectly, I would choose to be miserable knowing the truth because:

a.) I believe the truth will always come out in the end, so what's the point of lying to yourself. The truth is the truth, no matter how you feel about it. Live with it.
b.) I can't imagine myself being able to live happily knowing that something is seriously wrong. Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a compulsive worrier?
c.) I'm an aspiring writer. So, in a way, I'm already a glutton for emotional abuse and self-torture. Might as well be consistent.

For all you readers out there, which is about a whole 4 of you, what's your view?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to say I'd rather know the truth no matter what, and in most cases I would. But there probably are some circumstances where believing a lie is preferable, if only because nothing can be done about it. This isn't to say I'm big on believing lies, or that if confronted by one I'd ignore it. But I think we'd all like to believe we're courageous enough to accept an ugly truth as opposed to a pretty lie, when it may not always be so simple. Just something to think about.

Anonymous said...

I love the question..
My answer to this is that i'd much rather be in the darkness of truth, than be in the light of lies.
Life essentially is a web of truth and lies, happy and sad times... When knowledge takes its toll, you feel burdened by its responsibility and the stark reality of it. Only few can possess such knowledge and fewer still are strong enough to bare it.

 

Distributed by Blog Templates